The larger the pieces of the cabled sweater got, and the less able I was to carry them around, the more eager I became to finish. I'm afraid I may have said a few thoughtlessly cruel things to my poor little sock, on those occasions when I really couldn't have the sweater with me.
I finished weaving in the last end this evening. The sweater was started New Year's day. I think that's a new record for an adult sweater for me. My husband likes it.
And it fits him well- that's because after knitting him three sweaters and having to rip and reknit to loosen them up around the shoulders three times, I finally bought a clue and increased the armscye first time around.
As much as I like making up my own designs, there are some really good things about patterns from professional designers. For one thing, they tend to incorporate elements that are new to me, and so I always learn something. This pattern was the first I'd done in some time with set-in sleeves, which was a nice change. But the real lesson wasn't from the pattern itself, but the finishing. I don't think I've ever seamed pieces in reverse stockinette before, or at least not since I found out there was more than one way to sew seams in knitting.
So, after looking at the mess I made of the first seam, I went poking around on the internet and checked out what experts recommended. My seams suddenly got much better, to the point where I had to pull out the first one and redo it so it would match. I'm glad I did, even if I did finish a day later as a result.
All around it was a very gratifying project. And now I'm off to the next thing!