Last post I showed you the gifts I gave- but I also was the fortunate recipient of some cool crafty gifts. My mom noticed a lack of couch cushions in the library (I threw out the old ones- they were disgusting). And so she gave me some new ones she had made (the quilted one) and a couple more she had been given- cat and yarn themed, even!
And then my sister, who has some kind of magic superpower for finding things in secondhand shops, scored an absolute treasure trove of knitting books.
And then my dad joined in on the crafty action with a card case. Index cards in fact (which we were low on and needed more of...he may be psychic too).
It's been rather an odd holiday week. Having Wednesday off, then going back to work on Thursday and Friday has me all turned around- I don't know which day is up. Today is...um, Saturday? Still, I've been moving along with various projects.
The last of the bulky-weight hats is done:
Once I cast it off, I experienced a state of mild confusion...I don't have any knitting deadlines! Quite odd. While I was trying to organize my thoughts and decide what to do next, I cast on another sock. It always helps the thinking process to have my hands moving.
I pulled out a couple of skeins of Panda Silk (wool/bamboo/silk blend) that I had in stash and cast on a toe up version of the Sagittarius socks- still having the pattern in memory was convenient and I also wanted to see it in a solid color- a good choice, as it's even more stunning than it was in the multicolor yarn.
I actually sort of do know what I'm doing next- there are a couple of sweater WIPs that need to be finished up-- but they're not all that portable, so having a pair of socks on the needles is never a bad plan.
Also, since I was home today with (surprisingly) no commitments, I was determined to try and get some house projects moving. I got a start on one off the Lost Projects list . (I'll show you that one later- I've got to wait for glue to dry, and I'm not altogether sure it's going to work anyway.)
I did get one small project completely finished, however. Technically, it's not a lost project, as it's only been on the list a couple of weeks. But I figured that heading it off before it became lost was a worthy endeavor. Plus, it's really annoying having most of my work clothes in a pile on the chest in the bedroom. See, my closet had a small structural failure.
Being as I had knitting deadlines for Christmas, I didn't jump right on it. But the whole lack of functional closet space has gotten old fast. So I did hit the hardware store for some replacement rod brackets last week, and this afternoon I tackled the job in sensible steps. First I found the inconveniently located studs and installed some cross-bracing, so I'd have something solid to mount the clothes rod hardware to. (This was accompanied by a certain feeling of chagrin, as it was what I knew I should have done in the first place. Can't complain too much, however, as the crappy original job did last 7 years.) Then I measured, re-measured, checked levels, and finally mounted the new (and much stronger) hardware. The rod had to be cut to length- the room taken up by the bracing meant it needed to be shortened. And finally I straightened the bent bracket and re-mounted it, moving it over a stud for additional security. Overkill, since I wasn't planning on hanging clothes from it again, but I figured that since I had to move the bracket anyway, I might as well do it right. Really, there's a remarkable amount of fussy measuring and fitting for even a simple job like this one. But the in end I got a functional closet.
I'm torn between being pleased it's fixed, and annoyed because if I'd done it this way to begin with, I'd never have had this problem. It is very gratifying to have had all the tools on hand to deal with it, however. Now I just need to keep up my momentum, and knock some more projects off the list while I have the chance....we'll see if that plan survives contact with the enemy!