Saturday, July 12, 2014

It's That Time of Year

Yes, that time when we cast aside the bonds of employment and take off for one of our marathon travel-and-sightseeing experiences.  This year, we went back to the UK to see sights in the north of England and Scotland.  A fantastic trip, I'll be putting up trip reports as soon as we finish captioning photos.

While we weren't nearly as aggressive about it, we did try to do some preparatory walking to get ready for the trip.  The weekend before we left we spent a lovely afternoon walking on Plum Island.

I also in a fit of ambition cut out a pair of cropped pants that I wanted to take on the trip.  Unfortunately that that was as far as I got with the project.   Despite receiving extremely enthusiastic assistance.

Fortunately Cookie and Jake are a lot more laid back about sewing.  If by laid back, you understand that they find it a complete snoozefest.

Of course the most important bit of packing was the yarn.  The cranberry Nutkin socks did not go.  Even if I hadn't just had to rip out the heel of the second sock and reknit it due to having entirely failed to align the heel with the pattern in a way that matched the first sock- I really didn't want to bring a project that was three-quarters done.  In all our previous trips, I had never before finished a pair of socks.  So I resisted the urge to bring way too much yarn and packed a single skein of sock yarn.

Of course, this would be the trip where I actually did finish a pair of socks.

However this meant I had the perfect excuse to get souvenir yarn.  I found a couple of skeins of lovely yarn at a charming yarn shop in Glasgow, Queen of Purls.  I was extremely tempted by some gorgeous Scottish yarn, but I would have wanted to make a sweater and with all the sweaters queued up (and the lack of space in my backpack), I restricted myself to sock yarn, so I could cast on another small project.

And while I'm posting FO pictures, here is the little pair of mittens I made before I left, because I desperately needed to finish something.

Next up- the intrepid travelers set out for Peterborough via London.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the trip pictures.... and I have one of those enthusiastic "helpers"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a wonderful trip! Looking forward to the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete