Sunday, August 23, 2015

Stop and Go

It's been an unusually hot summer for new England, and although I haven't been especially bothered by the heat, I don't think I realized how much I'd slowed down through it until it finally cooled off some this weekend.   And suddenly I really wanted yarn in my hands.  And things started to happen. For example, I found the ambition to take some photos.

And a pair of socks got finished.

These were my 'social socks'- some good plain knitting for parties and the occasional video I see.

The lace socks aren't anti-social exactly, but they need good light and more attention than plain stockinette.   Also the yarn is incredibly hard to photograph.    This is a pretty good photo of how the pattern (Oriel by Charlene Schurch) is looking.

But the color is all wrong.  The above photo looks blue, and the yarn is more greeny purply with flashes of blue.   This photo shows the green and purple, but the color balance still isn't right.  I'll have to keep trying.

And then the hat that stalled out months ago, I finally bit the bullet and charted the pattern.   It's written out line by line, and is perfectly clear, but every time I picked it up it took me several minutes to remember where I was in the pattern.  I find charts much quicker- and because I can see where the pattern is going, often I don't even have to consult it for rounds at a time.  So the hat is once again moving.

Hopefully this is an omen for all my projects!

...now I need to go persuade a certain fluffy cat not to eat the plastic bag he's chewing on.

7 comments:

  1. It was 106 in Nashua in June 1984, breaking all kinds of records. Memorable because I happened to have a baby born there then and in the heat wave Memorial Hospital's air conditioning broke. So did their hot water heater. Yay for cooler weather!

    There is something, too, about the shortening of the days that makes knitting all the more compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's a big difference between the colourway between the two photos!
    I'm feeling the need to cast on a hat soon.... probably because it's been darn chilly this week. Suppose to get hot and humid again next week though.. what a summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. It's actually fairly comfortable here at the moment, but I don't expect that to last! And I'm completely non-plussed about that yarn. I don't think I've ever found yarn so hard to photograph.

      Delete
  3. Love the lacy patterns. Don't you just love wearing socks that you have knit??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, very much, though that particular pair is a gift for someone. However my next pair is for me...pics when I get back (I have spent most of the last 3 weeks in Europe, being too busy to post).

      Delete
    2. I do, very much, though that particular pair is a gift for someone. However my next pair is for me...pics when I get back (I have spent most of the last 3 weeks in Europe, being too busy to post).

      Delete
  4. Love the socks! I especially love the lace ones--and I even have that book! But I mustn't think of that until the scarf with the October deadline is done...............

    ReplyDelete