I've been off gallivanting again, this time to San Francisco, and I have lots of photos, but I haven't anything written about the trip yet, so I'll start with the crafting content. Remember this?
Yep, it's the longsuffering green Aran, and my primary project for the trip. To recap- I bought the yarn intending it for the colorwork sweater that I made for my husband last year, but the color just wasn't playing nicely in swatches. So I swapped it out for some off-white, for more contrast, and instead of returning the green wool, I picked up enough more skeins for a sweater for myself. I cast on the sleeves last fall when I was in need of a portable project, and loved it so much I'd managed to get quite a bit done despite this never having been the number one project on my list before now.
Then I hit the neckline- since I was adapting this from a pullover to a V-neck cardigan, I needed to do some calculations, and that was where the whole thing stalled out--for knitting math I needed functioning brain cells, which are apparently rarely on duty. After exploring several really bad ways to knit this, I finally appear to have stumbled onto one that works (at least so far--no promises). I've sewn the sleeves to the back, and pinned on the the first side of the front, and it all seems to bear some resemblance to a sweater. After that it's just the button band...and we'll see. I'm not uncrossing my fingers just yet--from the moment I departed from the pattern, this sweater's been kind of balky. But it's mid-September, and I'm eager to wear it, so, up needles, and away!