Thanks to a lot of running around that forced me to be monogamous with the Herringbone Socks, I am finally done, finished, kaput and see- evidence!
I was particularly pleased with these, since I had to modify the pattern from six pattern repeats to seven in order for them to fit. (With socks, I really hate going up in needle size because I prefer a dense fabric, so I nearly always stick to my size 0 needles and add stitches to make them bigger.) Of course seven repeats is not an even number, so when I changed half the pattern to stockinette for the instep, I had to work out a six stitch version of the herringbone pattern to make the numbers come out right. I considered just doing three repeats on the instep, but I didn't like the idea of the partial repeat just cutting off at the heel. So:
The herringbone pattern is a multiple of three, plus three stitches. So from a 12 stitch repeat I went down to for the single little herringbone column along the foot. I'm very pleased with them. They fit well, they're very comfortable, they look great...and I am so never knitting this pattern again. It's a lovely pattern, but with slipped stitches and passed stiches in every row...it's very, very, very slow.